Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Do you need to flush the toilet?

For those of you that don't know me, I teach 4 year old pre-k three mornings a week. Along with my own children's hilarious antics, these kids crack me up every day. I have one student, we'll call him "The Janitor", who is completely obsessed with toilets. Remember, he's 4! This strange obsession started about 3 months ago. He is one of only 3 boys in my class (I have 10 girls!) I started noticing during our potty breaks, he would wait until everyone was done then go into all the stalls and come back to report that everything was okay. I didn't really think about it for a few days, but when I noticed it happening more often, I mentioned it to his mom. That was an interesting conversation . . .

"So, have you noticed anything different about your son lately? Does he seem to be interested in bathrooms?"

"Yes! Lately everytime we go out to eat, he has to go look at the bathroom. I'm not sure what's going on with him."

"I've noticed he likes to spend time in there checking things out. We'll watch him and see where this goes."

So, over the next 3 months, his fasination grew! Everyday he checks to see that everyone flushed and there is toilet paper for the next person to use. After Spring Break, he told us all about all the bathrooms he saw on his trip down south. He was very descriptive of the hotel bathroom and all the wonderful things he saw. He mentioned Six Flags and Sea World, but only to let us know about the dirty bathrooms.

On Monday, during our journal writing time, he drew a picture of a plugged up toilet. He told us a wonderfuly imaginative story about how it got plugged up, who came to fix it, and how it got fixed. He was having a great day because he had earlier found a toilet someone had forgotten to flush.

In a staff meeting this morning, our director was telling us she is finding unflushed toilets around the school and would like us to make sure when we leave for the day we make sure all the toilets are flushed. What a perfect job for my little janitor!

I'm not telling you this story to make fun of my wonderful little guy. Although, I do hope you get a chuckle from it. He is such an amazing little boy with so many talents. To me, I just look at him and think about how God gave us each our own passions. I have found mine is children who need some learnin' and lovin'. I try to pour out God's love through in this area of my life. What's your passion? God gave us all something to pursue and help in His work. I wish we could all be as passionate about our service as The Janitor is about toilets. Figure out what toilet God is asking you to check out and start flushing!

No comments:

Post a Comment